IntroductionWe last saw John the photographer and his comrades in Game 8: Breakdown. Games 7, 9 and 10 have been following the exploits of the other group, led by Bomber and separated from John during a zombie attack during game 6. That's all clear, isn't it?
In "Breakdown", the military convoy which was evacuating John and his comrades was attacked by rioters whilst halted to change a punctured tyre. The party barely escaped, crammed into a single General Purpose Vehicle (GPV) and with wounded soldiers on board. Indeed, they fled so precipitously that they left the wounded Lieutenant Costner for dead, as well as the obviously dead Abe and his mobility chair.
I'm using the Safe Zone scenario from the ATZ: Haven book, slightly adapted to suit my needs. The first change I've made is to the terrain & setup, since I have fences and quonset huts in my collection rather than a 10' wall with firesteps. Next, I need to have the survivors' GPV approach the camp, looking for refuge. Finally, I'll just use whatever soldiers I have in my collection rather than sticking to the letter of the setup from the scenario book. I'll leave out the guys with the rocket launcher, auto-cannon and other inappropriately heavy weapons, though.
- John: REP 6 survivalist with pistol and camera. Also with Laddie, REP 2 collie dog.
- Darcy and Lizzie: REP 5 married survivalists, each with a pistol.
- Edna, the crazy cat lady: REP 2 elderly citizen. She is always surrounded by cats, though these act as a special distraction rule in melee rather than being represented by independent models.
- Corporal Van Damme: REP 4 soldier, assault rifle
- Connery: REP 4 soldier, badly injured and unconscious
- Dalton: REP 3 soldier, assault rifle
- Eastwood: REP 3 soldier, assault rifle, lightly injured
- Weaver: REP 4 soldier, assault rifle
- Hackman: REP 4 soldier, assault rifle
- Mitchum: REP 4 soldier, BAP
- Moore: REP 4 soldier, BAP
- Norris: REP 4 soldier, minigun (targets: 4, impact: 4)
- Major Brosnan: REP 4 soldier, BAP
- Sergeant Costner: REP 4 soldier, BAP (no relation to Lieutenant Costner who was left for dead in game 8)
Meanwhile, Eastwood was trying to turn the GPV round and move it into a position where he could use its roof-mounted machine gun. However, in the tight space and with people running around all over, this wasn't easy!
FinaleAt this point, we ran out of time and had to pack up. We haven't yet seen most of the encounters that are described in the Safe Zone scenario and the game doesn't feel finished. The current situation is that the soldiers are holding their own, but the number of zombies is slowly increasing. John, Darcy and Lizzie are wondering what to do next, whilst Edna is rummaging through the administration block looking for a nice cup of tea.
Will the soldiers try to question or even disarm the newcomers? Will they be too busy fighting off the undead? Can the sergeant come up with a plan, or is it just every man for himself? Too many questions...
I feel sure we'll need to revisit this in a future session and pick up from where we left off!
[Update: Part 2 is now available]