IntroductionThe Helensburgh Games Club restarted this week after the Easter break. I planned a big game of Hordes of the Things; this usually works quite well for multiple players. However, none of my usual group turned up (though the usual numbers of Warhammer 40K enthusiasts were present), so I took one side and my son took the other.
I set up a straightforward 72AP battle, with a settlement on one side and an attacking army on the other. The story? The Knights of Lyonesse had sent assistance to the aid of a village in the East that was being plagued by skeletons, zombies and other undead terrors. Even though the villagers were strangers (and foreigners, to boot!), the Knights were sworn to defend the weak and oppose evil wherever it might be found!
- 2 x 24AP armies of the Knights of Lyonesse, heavily loaded with heroes and knights.
- 1 x 24AP Kung Fu army consisting of a few heroes, some foot soldiers and hordes of peasants.
- 3 x 24AP armies, each led by 1 or 2 magicians, with a mixture of other troop types (especially bats and hordes of zombies & skeletons).
The BattleFor the most part, both lines of troops advanced towards each other until they met in the middle. While this was happening, there were a number of noteworthy incidents around the battlefield:
Sir Artois de Beaumain
Bats in the Centre!
Another one bites the Dust!
Back in the north wing, the forces of Lyonesse surged forward to avenge their fallen comrade. The Red Knight challenged the Master Necromancer himself, but the titanic duel ended with him being ensnared in foul magics and transported away as a prisoner! 2 heroes down!
Chao Kung, the cleric, was elsewhere). It wasn't long before the warlock in charge of this part of the Cabal's army targeted Sir Roger. He entranced the hero with visions of delight, causing him to fall captive to the forces of evil. 4 heroes down!
The Beginning of the End
The Necromancer's joy was short-lived, however. Lin Jie appeared, seemingly from nowhere, and leaped off the hillside to tackle the big bat. He felled the beast with one mighty blow; this was enough to break the Necromancer's force as well!
Man of the match
- For the forces of Good: definitely Lin Jie, the Kung Fu master! He personally slew 3 stands of bats, broke 1 enemy command and aided in breaking another.
- For the Cabal: I think the Necromancer in the north did well. He ensnared the Red Knight and destroyed some of his companions, all in hand-to-hand fighting. This broke the opposing command.
Lessons to be learnt
- We really need to know how to use flyers more effectively! Neither the aerial hero (Lyonesse) nor the flocks of bats (Cabal) pulled their weight.
- Blades versus Hordes is a match-up that will only end 1 way! Not a good day for the skeletons and zombies...
- The villagers didn't lose a single base (the mostly-infantry army was probably helped in this by having both flanks secured by more mobile forces). Truly they'll be celebrating tonight!