Monday 13 June 2016

The Workbench: June 2016

Introduction

I'm still finding it difficult to make progress on most of my ever-growing range of projects.  Partly this is because I've been playing a bit of Race for the Galaxy with my sons (which is an excellent card game; I recommend it highly).  Of course, the fact that I've just whipped them in 2 successive games is a bonus; such victories are anything but certain now that the boys are growing up a bit!

Anyway, the main reason/excuse for not doing much model-making is the increasingly-cluttered workbench (yet again!):



The Overloaded Workbench

OK, so once again I have boxes and trays balanced on each other, 2 or 3 layers deep.  For the record, I really hate that, yet it just keeps happening.  I can't figure it out...

Focussing in on the central portion only, here are some of the works in progress:



Super Dungeon Explore


I haven't made much progress on my Kodama warband (intelligent plants).  In part this is because I'm not happy with the paint I've applied to the (blue/green) Wisps so far and that dissatisfaction has halted further work until I decide what to do about it.

On the other hand, Mr. Bitey (the zombie rabbit pet with the rotten carrot strapped to his back!) is coming along nicely.


Kroot


These aren't my models, but rather are the work of my younger son.  They're still cluttering up my workbench, though!  As well as taking space, he also uses my bench for some of the time that I would otherwise spend painting my own models.  Still, I regard any interest from my children as something to be nurtured, not discouraged.


The Cameraman


I bought this fellow from Crooked Dice at the Carronade show this year.  As you can see, I've needed to add a bit of filler to the top of the camera; there was a bad hollow in the casting.  Most surprising, given this company's otherwise excellent record.

The cameraman is now just about ready to be undercoated.  I'm hoping that Crooked Dice will follow up with other members of the production crew: a sound-boom operator and makeup artist would be excellent.  Perhaps also a scriptwriter rushing forwards with a last-minute rewrite of the current scene!  I can hope...


Frostgrave


My blue Frostgrave squad are still languishing at the back of the bench.  I really should just get on and finish them; there can't be much left to do on them now!  That would be quite a weight off my mind as these guys have been quite a millstone around my neck.  Hmm, perhaps I'll get a cup of tea first and think about it some more...

14 comments:

  1. My word there is a lot going on there, loving the look of the Kodama warband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much, do you think? I keep telling myself to be more disciplined and maybe to cut back a bit, but it doesn't happen...

      Delete
  2. No question about it, Hugh, your workbench IS cluttered! I like the 7TV cameraman and I've just finished painting mine. I also hope that CDG make more production staff to add to their range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your workbench looks tidy compared to my living room ... it's what happens when one has wargaming-itis and no-one else in the house to complain when projects start piling up 2 or 3 deep ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the rest of my house *isn't* like this (and I *do* have someone who complains :-( ).

      Delete
  4. My workbench looks a lot like yours, even after I've tidied it up; I doubt you'll feel any better when Isay on my paint=able I have unfinishedfigures that have sat there for over a year!
    I think making a deadline for a game that needs to finish some of the figures (Frostgrave?) could be a spur ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfinished figures on the table for a year? Pah, I could swear that some of mine have been there for a decade or more ;-) !

      Delete
  5. I currently don't have a workbench so jealous anyway :)
    Foundry / Casting Room Miniatures do an okay TV Crew set if fancied (although they are geared up for 'outside broadcasts'!) http://www.castingroomminiatures.com/collections/street-fighters/products/street-fighters-tv-crew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we all have different problems, don't we? Too much workbench, not enough workbench...

      Delete
  6. Now that is what I call a workbench!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a 'busy-looking' work table you have there. :) Of all your projects, it's the SDE ones I'm most looking forward too as I painted them in the past and had loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's far too busy, isn't it :-( ? Ah, I didn't know that you were an SDE fan. My next post (19th June) might interest you, then.

      Delete