The Story So FarIn game 6 of my ATZ campaign, the small community of survivors who were living at the Golden Hills retirement complex were scattered and separated. One elderly couple (Albert and Gertrude) was accidentally left behind, while Bomber fled to the east. His search for some friends who were out foraging at the time of the zombie attack on Golden Hills was played out in game 7.
Meanwhile, the remainder of the group escaped aboard a convoy of trucks manned by a squad of National Guard, traveling to a resettlement camp at an undisclosed location. This is their story.
- John: REP 6 survivalist, pistol, camera. Followed around by Laddie, REP 2 Shetland collie.
- Darcy and Lizzie: REP 5 married survivalists, each with a pistol.
- Abe: REP 3 elderly citizen. He drives a mobility scooter and has a hunting rifle.
- Edna, the crazy cat lady: REP 2 elderly citizen. Always surrounded by cats.
- Lieutenant Costner: REP 5 military, BA pistol.
- Corporal Van Damme: REP 4 military, assault rifle
- Connery: REP 4 military, assault rifle (drives the GPV)
- Dalton: REP 3 military, assault rifle (drives the first truck)
- Eastwood: REP 3 military, assault rifle (drives the second truck)
"Nuts. OK, it seems quiet enough here - we'll change it now. Get to work, soldier!" the officer replied.
"Lieutenant, my dog needs some exercise" called John from where he was sitting in the back of the truck.
"All right. Anyone who needs to stretch can dismount for a few minutes, but don't go out of sight!"
In the side streets, there were stirrings and movements as the first few zombies started to appear. The guardsmen and the mob were too intent on their confrontation to notice, though some of the survivors were becoming very uneasy.
Costner shouted to the crowd to disperse, but they kept on coming. Both soldiers on the front line were hit by thrown rocks and bottles, though neither was seriously injured. In desperation, Connery fired a warning shot over the heads of the rioters.
From the side, John the photographer started taking pictures of the shambles. His powerful camera flash temporarily blinded a number of rioters who were looking in his direction, thus preventing them from outflanking the soldiers.
At the same time, a pair of zombies clawed at the mob from behind, but without doing any damage.
The Approaching Storm
None of the characters were eligible for a REP increase after this game. Although most of them had defeated an opponent, the party's victory conditions had not been met. The mob wasn't dispersed peacefully, looters did manage to get hold of military equipment and 2 characters were lost (Abe was already dead and Lieutenant Costner was left for dead). However, it was bonanza time for the zombies; the crossroads was littered with unconscious and dying rioters!