Sunday 1 December 2013

Spendlove's ATZ Event Cards

They say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.  Well, I'm feeling very flattered right now!

In August 2012, I published details of my deck of random event cards for All Thing Zombie (here).  At the time, these attracted quite a lot of attention and to this day it is still the 3rd most popular article I've written for my blog.

My originals on the left, Spendlove's designs on the right.  Obviously, the backs are identical!

Jumping ahead to October 2013, I was contacted by 'Spendlove' (http://spendloves.wordpress.com/).  He was asking permission to make his own deck of ATZ event cards based on my original templates.  Well, I had already made the template document available for anyone who wishes (though not for commercial purposes), so sure - go right ahead!

Again, my cards on the left, Spendlove's on the right

Shortly after that, I was sent the first draft of Spendlove's version and was mightily impressed by what I saw!  We discussed a few minor adjustments (occasional proof-reading errors, mostly) and then he uploaded the set to artscow.com - you can view the full set here .

Sample cards from Spendlove's set

Next, I went and ordered a set of these 'extra' ATZ event cards for myself.  They arrived last week and I'm delighted with them.  Both the game effects and the pictures and text on the cards are very much in the same style as my original cards.  I know how much effort this must have taken and appreciate the deck all the more for this!

3 more samples from Spendlove's "extra" ATZ event cards

So, will I be using these in my next game of ATZ?  You bet I will!  I haven't yet decided whether to keep the 2 sets separate (perhaps choosing which set to use by the roll of a dice?) or just to shuffle them all into one big deck.  However, that's just a detail...

15 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a rival, Hugh! Seriously though, these look very good. Hats off to Spendlove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet more gaming goodness. As you say flattering as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cards..good old Artscow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, artscow print them, but the cards are only as good as the original designs. These are excellent!

      Delete
  4. Those cards looks great. Use both! Look forward to seeing how your games go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need a lot of games of ATZ to go through all the cards in both decks, I think! I'd better start soon :-) ...

      Delete
  5. I was quite impressed by the cards when I first saw them and I'll be looking forward to seeing them in use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yahhh well done. Greta work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the thanks are really due to Spendlove :-) ...

      Delete
  7. The 2 decks, yours and Spendlove are very nice. These are very good additions to the game

    ReplyDelete