Sunday 22 October 2017

Zomtober 2017, Week 4

<==  Week 3 is here

Introduction

Zomtober - is that still going?  I feel as if I've been posting these articles like, forever!  Ah, well - there's no rest: here's another Sunday and so I owe my readers another zombie/survivor duel...


Danny vs Men-In-Blue Zombie


Today's pairing is between a very newly-completed survivor named Danny and a newish build of a zombified agent from the Men-in-Blue organisation.

I've hinted at my Men-In-Blue agents before in a couple of posts (one of which was a Zomtober duel some years ago between a MiB female agent and a zombie.  Sadly, I cannot remember which article and I can't be bothered to look, so if you want to know then you'll need to find it yourself :-) ).  However, I've never really explained what type of organisation MiB might be.  The truth is that I don't know myself, yet!  I've painted up 2 live agents so far, plus a zombified ex-agent - but without much of an idea as to what they do...



Men-in-Blue zombie (MiBZ) has got a gun in his right hand.  However, he doesn't appear to know how to use it.  Indeed, he seems to have only just noticed his left hand for the first time; it's clearly engaging a lot of his very limited attention.



On the other hand, Danny is dressed for a day at the beach, or maybe for a visit to Disneyland or a sports match.  His sandals, tee shirt and shorts don't suggest to me that he is particularly likely to survive zombie fighting for long.

Then again, he's picked up an assault rifle from somewhere - and he has a water bottle as well.  I've mentioned before the importance of having good access to hydration during the apocalypse, so maybe Danny isn't as helpless as he looks?  Or maybe he just got lucky with the gun and the sports bottle?



Both of these figures are out-of-the-box builds of Warlord Games plastic kits.  Danny is from the "Apocalypse Survivors: Men" set that was previously owned by Wargames Factory, whilst MiBZ is from the new-ish male zombies set.  The man is on the base which came with the kit, whilst MiBZ is mounted on a resin base from Escenorama.


Conclusion


The final part of each of these duels is always the same question: what happens next?

My 2c worth: they're both pretty rubbish at their jobs: MiBZ is too busy staring at the five wiggly appendages on the end of his hand and Danny, despite lucking out in obtaining a gun, just isn't prepared for the fight of his life.

All other things being equal, I think I'd give the win to the man because he has the greater intelligence and dexterity.  Even if only slightly...

Onward to Week 5 ==>

30 comments:

  1. Another ace duel Colgar6. I think Danny has this one with gun and H20. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pulpcitizen. I think you're probably right. Anyway, Danny had better win the fight, because he isn't going to run very far in his flip flops!

      Delete
  2. A quick rifle butt to the head takes down MiBZ in my books; especially as for some reason with that splash of green, yellow and red, Danny reminds me of a porky Robin - The Boy Wonder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin; the grown-up years? Hmm, I don't think I see it myself :-) .

      Delete
  3. Great stuff Colgar! Love the Danny figure - all the little details, the sandals, water bottle, A's hat, but especially the shorts falling off in the back ala the neighborhood plumber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, all I did was assemble and paint the figure; the sculpting is from the manufacturer. But you're right, Ivor: sometimes the choice and positioning of the parts makes all the difference...

      Delete
  4. Superb models, the attention to detail - like the water bottle and the Oakland As baseball cap are a hallmark of quality.

    The great unanswered question - "Is this thing loaded?" is likely to determine the brevity of Danny's zombie hunting career.

    Should he take down MiBZ, he's gained a pistol and a pair of shoes to add to his survival kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. Hmm, I suspect that the AK-47 could be used as a club if it wasn't loaded, or if Danny couldn't figure out the safety catch (does this gun *have* such a thing?) And knowing the AK's reputation for toughness, bashing a zombie over the head with it probably wouldn't damage its primary function either!

      Delete
  5. I think Danny is just taking a remarkably relaxed approach to the zompocalypse because, well, he knew it was coming,

    Danny for the easy win.

    Nice work, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. another good duel. And very neat lettering on Danny's name. Much better then I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clint. Hmm, I thought that the lettering was a bit rushed myself, especially the 'Y'.

      Delete
  7. Love the work on the suit, but Danny has got this one all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy in the suit is oddly posed, I think - but then he *is* a zombie and so it's allowed (encouraged, even!). I think I'd favour Danny as well, but possibly not by such a large margin.

      Delete
  8. Great looking duo and probably the closest match-up to call - so I'm not even going to attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. I'm trying to think whether any of my other duels have been as plausibly close as I think this one is. Probably not, though if Sean and his mate in that film can kill zombies then so can Danny, I imagine. Maybe not too easily at first, though...

      Delete
  9. Stunning work on the mini's Hugh - absolutely top-drawer stuff!
    Of course, NO-ONE knows what the MiB actually do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, WA: nobody knows what MiB does. I certainly don't know and I suspect that even the agents who work for the organisation don't have a clue!

      Delete
  10. Another good week of brushwork Colgar. I believe Danny would win this one, though barely. Those flip-flops need to go. Surely as soon as some hot ejected casings landed on those tender tootsies, he would learn the error of his ways. Though that assumes he can figure out how the weapon operates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good point, Terry! I hadn't thought of burnt toes, but was rather rating Danny's chances (slim) of running away in flip flops if he fails to dispatch the zombie with his gun.

      Delete
  11. Nice duo again Hugh. Maybe zombies stole his boots so now he has to make do with some flip flops he found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. Hmm, I don't think that zombies would steal his boots, would they? Other survivors might, though...

      Delete
  12. I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said. Really nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still nice to hear from you, Fred - even if you think there's nothing new to say :-) .

      Delete
  13. I think you've done an excellent job. I've never been able to `get' shading and highlighting beyond a very basic stage. Yours look great, especially the suited zombie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. My techniques are fairly basic, you know! Every time I read a Heavy Metal "how to paint " article, I think they are making it far too complicated...

      Delete
  14. Nicely done ... cool contrasts too. Human vs Undead. Casual beach wear vs Dressed for Success, zombie style. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, how does one define "success" for a zombie, I wonder :-) ? For a human, power dressing during the apocalypse probably involves less exposed flesh and more stout clothing than this civilian is wearing!

      Delete