Last week, I showed some pictures of my cluttered workbench (here). Even if you didn't realise it, I noticed from this article how many of the models present were "blockers"; they had sat around waiting for attention for weeks, months or even years.
This thought shamed me so much that I decided to try to finish some of these stalled projects, or at least put more paint on such models. Often, the inactivity is self-reinforcing - when I finally started to work on the pieces below, I found that often they weren't so difficult (or so far from completion) as I had imagined after all!
The Strathclyde Welsh
Some time ago, I started to build a SAGA "Strathclyde Welsh" warband. Where I live, these are the local boys (at least, the Strathclyde part of their lands is local, not so much the Welsh part).
I started this warband so long ago that I daren't even look it up in the blog; I'd probably be horrified at just how long these have taken. Anyway, these are the last 6 of the 16 warriors, 8 hearthguard and a warlord, thus completing a basic 4pt SAGA force - hurrah!
Of course, I've got another 8 Strathclyde foot warriors that are still mint-in-blister...
The Steam Launch
Progress has been made on the MDF launch; it turns out that only a few colours are needed to paint this model. I've still to dirty it up a bit, since I'm aiming more for a working boat "African Queen" look rather than a modern-day cherished & polished Victorian heirloom. When the painting is done, I intend to add some rope - probably a coil on the foredeck and some mast stays.
The Missionary's/Trader's House
My other "colonial" project at the moment is this house. The basic building was almost finished anyway; I've added the interior floor since last week. Mind you, that hasn't gone very well as the paper on which the flooring is printed has wrinkled terribly. I might have to think again about how to do this...
Behind the house is the tiled roof which came with the model. I've base-coated it, but haven't detailed or weathered any of the tiles.
Having considered it a little, I thought that it would be nice to have a thatched roof for the bungalow; I could then use it in slightly less "civilised" parts of the world. Initially, I thought of just covering the already-built, tiled roof with teddy bear fur, but in the end I cut out new pieces of MDF to make a scratch-built, second roof. This is the first time I've ever worked with fur fabric - it seems to be going well so far.
Congrats on getting some blockers cleared. It takes a serious amount of effort to just get one done let alone a hole host as you have done. If I was wearing a hat I would take it off to you sir.ReplyDelete
Well, technically I've only cleared one of these projects (the Strathclyde warriors) as the others aren't yet finished. But I am making inroads into the rest, thanks!Delete
You've made some cracking progress on so much.ReplyDelete
Thanks, Michael. There's so much more to do, though...Delete
Wonderful job, love the warbands and the roof...ReplyDelete
Lots of nice progress. I have been distracted myself this week finishing off some figures of a similar vintage from the paint queue....lol. Feels good to get them finished thoughReplyDelete
It does feel good to finish models, doesn't it? Until you look at the rest of the queue five minutes later :-( ...Delete
Great to see you making huge (imo) efforts to clear the back-log !ReplyDelete
Well, it'll take *much* more effort than this to clear the backlog completely. Probably in the order of 5 years or more...Delete
Onwards and upwards.ReplyDelete
That's right; even a small step forwards is still forwards! Thanks, Irqan.Delete
Great stuff! All my Strathclyde are still mint in blister!! Following your last blog entry on hobby table clutter, I had a good go at clearing up mine. Well, I managed to clear up the room around the table and now just have the table to do... One of my bad habits is bringing out pots of paint with specific palettes for projects and then new pots for new projects until my table is nothing but paint pots with no room for models!! I also had quite a few blockers, some of these have been banished out of sight so I can concentrate on getting specific items finished.ReplyDelete
Ah, well - I haven't even *bought* my SAGA Norse Gael force yet (or many other armies, come to that :-) ).Delete
Good luck with your efforts to clear up your workspace.
Is that a Japanese spaceship model kit box I spy in the background. Forgive me, the minis look great, but I noticed the box first as I'm currently trying to save up for the 1/500 scale Space Battleship Yamato 2199 although what'll likely happen is I will probably spend my budget elsewhere eventually :)ReplyDelete
Yes, you're right: it's a box from one of the four Bandai models I built in 2013 and described here: http://colgar6.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/japanese-spaceships-and-request-for-help.html . I've even painted one of the models since then :-) !Delete
I keep small box lids like this; they're very useful as trays for sorting bits into or for transporting models down to the garage for varnishing and stuff like that.
Progress is always good. Really like the cavalty.ReplyDelete
Thanks, Fred. I've been finishing off a number of these part-complete projects since I wrote this article. I think it has really helped :-) .Delete