IntroductionRecently, I became aware of Frontline Wargaming, a small British company with an unusual and eclectic list of products. This is the place to go if you want an igloo, furniture for your Old West buildings or a monorail for your evil overlord's underground lair. It all looks wonderfully different!
I thought I'd test the waters with a small order; this was with a slight amount of trepidation since Frontline still use the old-fashioned system of ordering by post or telephone. We're all spoiled in recent years by sites which offer instant-gratification Internet shopping carts.
I needn't have worried, since I received timely emails in turn to acknowledge the order and to request payment (via PayPal). Although the website states that delivery may take up to 28 days, my packet arrived in about half this time. So, what did I receive? I bought items for several different types of games that I play, but for this article I'll concentrate on the civilian casualties, rather than any of the other terrain or fittings.
SP2 Zombie NoshFor £3.30, Frontline sells a packet of 6 dead, modern 28mm civilians. The models are resin and are one-piece castings with integral bases. Out of the packet, these bases have square corners, but I've rounded them off - the resin is easy to cut and this was a simple modification.
The figures are quite clearly dead - indeed in some cases the corpses have been ripped apart. Not for the squeamish! Here we go:
- The sculpting on these models is acceptable rather than great. In particular, the shoes on the men are somewhat blobby. Still, this won't be a problem unless viewing at very close range.
- The resin casting isn't perfect: the models have numerous holes caused by air bubbles. Most of these are tiny and not really a problem, but I did have to add some filler in a few places.
- This is an unusual (possibly unique!) subject for a set of 28mm models and is therefore much to be applauded!
- The variants are all quite distinct from each other. Having 6 poses should allow much more effective use than if there were (say) only 2.
- The price of £3.30 (plus postage and packing) is extremely low!