Sunday 11 October 2015

Zomtober 2015 - Week 2

<--  Week 1 is this way

Introduction

OK, so it's the end of the second week in October.  I'm taking part in the Zomtober challenge again and therefore I need to show at least one completed zombie or survivor.  Once again, I intend to present a duel and see what my readers think are the possible outcomes.

Joey vs Hot Chick Zombie (HCZ)


Let's start with Joey.  He's a plucky boy, probably about 10 or 12 years old.  The model is from Wargames Factory's "Apocalypse Survivors: The Men" plastic set, but with a couple of small changes.

Firstly, I've given him a baseball cap.  This was very simple: I cut the cap from one of the spare adult heads in the same set, cut off the top of the boy's head and glued the two pieces together.

Secondly, Joey is wielding a super soaker (a large water pistol, for those readers who don't have their own children).  This was scratch-built by cutting down the weapon on the boy's submachine gun arm and then adding plastic rod & modelling putty.

The painting on this model was very simple, though I tried to contrast the bright, plastic colours of his toy gun with the muted camouflage of the cap.


Why "Hot Chick Zombie"?  Well, if you'll pardon the apparent sexism, she's on fire!  The zombie is not totally consumed in flames, but does have something flammable burning in patches along her left-hand side and dripping on to the ground.  Whatever set light to her may also have destroyed her foot and hand, as these are missing, as is the left side of her face.

The zombie model is again from Wargames Factory, though this time from the "Zombie Vixens" set.  She's an out-of-the-box build, though with some green stuff "flames" added to leg, arm, hair and base.

Incidentally, the bases for both of these models are moulds from my Urban Basius II pad, though from relatively plain areas without much relief detail (these were tester pieces).


So, what is Joey doing?  Has he loaded his super soaker with gasoline, hoping to use it as a crude flamethrower?  Perhaps he's filled the toy with something caustic and intends to blind HCZ by squirting the fluid in her remaining eye?  Or is he just living in a fantasy world where squirting water over a playground foe whilst shouting "pew! pew!" is enough to win the game?

Given what I know of water pistols (they're inaccurate, have very short range and leak constantly), I really don't think that either flammable or corrosive liquids would be a good choice.  Equally, water isn't going to bother the zombie for long.

No, I think that Joey's only advantage here is that the zombie is considerably damaged and will probably be unable to move quickly, if at all.  Run, Joey!  Run!

Week 3 is this way -->

26 comments:

  1. Great stuff C6, and once again an awful lot to see and admire with your postings and painting. I love the look of the kid and his hunter's camo baseball cap is very well done. Nice little conversion too. Setting the zed alight is inspired stuff as well, and perhaps Joey is just giving the 'lady' a helping hand by dousing her flames? Why he would do that though is utter madness 'cause' it ain't gonna sate her appetite for brains...!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camouflage baseball cap was something of an afterthought! I had painted it in brown but decided that this was a bit dull, so I added some extra colours. It came out quite well, I think :-) .

      Delete
  2. Ha ha! very good, well painted too.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think that I got the flames quite right, but otherwise I'm quite pleased with this pair.

      Delete
  3. What a brlliant duel this week C6! Superb painting (the camo baseball cap in particular) and sculpting. The flames are excellent, in idea and execution. Well played C6!

    I think Joey has a super soaker full of lighter fluid and she's gonna go whoosh. Burn baby burn, disco inferno!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. Given how much water pistols leak, I think that if Joey is using lighter fluid then he'll set his hands on fire!

      Delete
  4. V nice, I love the storytelling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dGG. It's quite simple, really: I give a few characteristics and leave it up to your imagination to add the details :-) .

      Delete
  5. Another characterful and interesting duel. Well done as ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again. I'm having fun building this series of cameos; it's very inspiring to know that other people like them too.

      Delete
  6. If you are really good a water pistol is all you need! As I am rather inept I want a sword, shotgun and an over the horizon thermo nuclear device (just for the close in work..... and I don't want them any closer!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're Bruce Willis then you don't need anything other than a water pistol, but like you, I'd prefer some more significant weapons.

      Of course, if you're like Chuck Norris then even the water pistol is for wimps...

      Delete
  7. Brilliant! I've got to say that I'm worried about Joey, this could go horribly wrong for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I agree, Michael. Unless Joey snaps into the reality of the situation very quickly then he's in trouble!

      Delete
  8. Interesting. I guess the outcome all depends on what liquid Joey has in his water pistol. If it is just water he should easily outrun a one-footed zombie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that it matters what's in it: a water pistol is just not going to be an effective weapon. I suppose that in exceptional circumstances you might be able to blind an opponent with ink or acid, maybe. No, Joey should run...

      Delete
  9. Awesome, love the supersoaker! Not sure it's the best choice of weapons, but its better than nothing...maybe. The duels are excellent, keep the good work going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, N667. I think that the water pistol has given Joey a false sense of superiority. It all depends on how quickly he realises how useless it is and whether he then has time to flee!

      Delete
  10. Why do I sense Joey's not the brightest crayon in the box?

    You summed it up nicely. Run, Joey! Run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Joey's like most other pre-teen boys: brought up on video games and films where the good guys always win? I don't think he realises (yet) that this is for real; the question is will he figure it out in time to escape?

      Delete
  11. Great conversion work - the supersoaker is instantly recognisable. The duo remind meof a brother and sister, one teasing whilst the other tries to wreak death and destruction on the tormentor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. I suppose that she could be Joey's older sister, but if I had a sibling turned into a zombie that then tried to eat me, I think I'd be completely freaked out!

      Delete
  12. Cool job Colgar :) Although cool chick and zombie doesn't really belong in the same phrase, at least not in the gory (read good) paint job above. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, F.E.M. I did enjoy painting this pair; look for more zombie goodness in a few days time!

      Delete
  13. Awesome! Lovely work reminds of Fallout Tactics with the supersoaker you could put acid in to use against robot enemies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Fallout Tactics, but it seems to me that a supersoaker would make a very poor weapon!

      Delete