Wednesday 9 December 2015

Frostgrave: The Worm

Introduction

Another Wednesday and the sinking realisation that I've missed a weekend post yet again!  Honestly, I think that twice weekly updates are too much for me, yet I've got so much that I want to show and discuss.  Real Life (TM) just keeps getting in the way...

OK, a quick post for today.  Here's another Reaper "Bones" monster, based up for Frostgrave.  This one is strange for me because it's a pre-painted model; I usually like to paint figures for myself.  Partly thats because I enjoy the model-making aspect of gaming and partly it's because I can usually make a better job of it than some hastily-coloured, factory-produced figure.  However, this one came pre-painted and I decided that it was a decent enough colour scheme for my needs.

The Great Worm


So, what can I tell you about this creature?  Well, it's a pre-painted Reaper Bones model of (I presume) a Dungeons and Dragons "Purple Worm" - one of the baddest boss monsters around!  I've touched up the paint on the worm a little, especially around the teeth, but for the most part what you see is how it came out of the packet.

I created a base for this monster with a 70mm round blank, some Green Stuff and the Basius Dungeon pad.  Once the worm was glued in place, I added a few paving slabs made from offcuts of thick plasticard to make it look as if the creature had burst through the floor.  The effect looks a bit tame to me; perhaps I should have added more loose soil and other debris?


In Frostgrave, the worms were once bred to clean the sewers, but since the city's demise they have gone feral.  They're now a considerable menace to anyone who is unlucky enough to encounter one, as Oscar the Thief is about to find out.  I'm looking forward to seeing this creature appear in a game!

18 comments:

  1. Great idea Hugh, and one I'll be borrowing as I have that model somewhere. I think you're doing yourself an injustice Ref your basing as it looks rather well done to me. I too am looking forward to seeing it appear in one of your excellent BatReps :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blax. It should be quite an opponent, shouldn't it?

      Delete
  2. Looks great. I am after one of these for 7TV2 as it has a profile in the PX guide :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I hadn't considered this for 7TV2. Mind you, I'm looking at building up a Star Trek cast for 7TV2; such a monster might do quite well for that. Hmm...

      Delete
    2. Rules are in the Paranormal Exterminator guide :)

      Delete
  3. What a great figure! I'm definitely adding it to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mildly surprised that you don't have one already, Bryan. I thought you had invested heavily in Bones...

      Delete
    2. I did... but this is one of the few Bones figures I don't have. Go figure!

      Delete
  4. That's one big purple worm C6! Nicely based dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the little ones aren't really very scary now, are they :-) ?

      Delete
  5. that beastie looks daunting. Hope My Wiz does not need to fight one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but just imagine what might happen if you could lure it into the middle of an enemy warband...

      Delete
  6. A sewer cleaning worm, what a great idea and you've certainly found a great miniature to represent it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sewer cleaning isn't my idea; it comes from the Frostgrave book. Still, it gives a good explanation for why these creatures exist at all, doesn't it?

      Delete
  7. C6 I just can't stop posting as like you there is so much to post about. Although I'm quite focused on the zombie stuff at moment, there's Bushido coming after Xmas, Bolt Action, Black Powder, Ancients, terrain building.....the list goes on and now you bring Frostgrave and awesome big purple monsters and demons into my gaming life.....damnit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - I'd like to hear about all of these things, in due time.

      Delete
  8. Another great looking monster (with just the right amount of rubble imo) and hopefully this one will not be as shy as your others in putting in an appearance in a future scenario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. It's a bit disappointing to build creatures and not have any of them turn up; I have high hopes for this one!

      Delete