Another Sunday in October; here's another Zomtober post. As ever, the rules are that I have to show at least 1 zombie or 1 survivor. However, I've made a habit of showing one of each, posed as a duel. This week, its "B.B." versus "Cocktail Waitress Zombie" (CWZ).
I've talked before about the possibility of zombies retaining some form of instinctive need to finish a task, notably with my zombie ballerina. I imagine that in a few, extreme cases, a fresh zombie may attempt to carry on with some activity in which they were engaged before they were "converted", at least for a short time. This might be used to explain those rare cases where the living dead wield a weapon including, on rare occasions, a firearm.
Thus it is with Cocktail Waitress Zombie: she's attempting to carry a tray of drinks without spilling them. This is complicated by the fact that her high heels have caught in a drain cover. The proximity of the interfering human isn't helping either!
"B.B." is a young hooligan with a catapult. Some may sneer at this as a weapon, but it has many advantages:
- It's quiet.
- Ammunition is free and readily available.
- A powerful catapult using 1/2" steel ball bearings will do a lot of damage to a target. Not as much as a powerful handgun, admittedly, but perhaps equal to a .22 rifle?
Of course, there are some disadvantages as well:
- Effective (accurate) range is quite short.
- Once the rubber perishes, you probably can't replace it in an apocalypse.
CWZ is a Wargames Factory "Zombie Vixen", built straight out of the box. I've added a couple of wine glasses to her tray; these come from Black Cat Bases.
B.B. is one of Offensive Miniatures "Street Kids", from their near-future rioters section. I made the catapult elastic from a length of plastic rod, but otherwise he is also unmodified.
Both models are mounted on resin urban bases from Escenorama.
Here are the questions in my mind about this encounter:
- Is B.B. trying to fell the zombie, or is he just interested in plinking at the wine glasses as a form of target practice?
- At what point will CWZ give up her balancing act, discard the tray and just go for the human?
- When CPZ finally tries to eat B.B., will she be able to catch him by surprise, or will he be nimble and alert enough to escape her clutches?
- Will B.B be able to kill the zombie with his catapult? If not, will he keep trying, or will he get bored and run off?
What do you think? What happens next?
Week 3 is this way ==>
Week 3 is this way ==>