Sunday 5 October 2014

Zomtober 2014 - Week 1

Introduction

It's Zomtober again and I've signed up for the challenge.  Since today is a Sunday, I have to show at least one survivor or zombie model, preferably one that was recently painted.  Last year, I presented a little duel each week between a single survivor and one zombie.  I'm going to continue that format, at least for now.

My last post was about the construction of my ballerina zombie - possibly the least threatening such monster I've ever made!  In that article, I promised to show the painted version, so here it is...

The Duel

Ballerina zombie is matched up against Ben, who is an out-of-the-box model from Wargames Factory's "Survivors - The Men" set.  He's not been converted in any way.

Last year, each pair of models in my duels just happened to be figure that I completed at about the same time.  This year, I've tied the bases together by painting them in a matching pattern.

It's an awkward part of zombie folklore: do they remember anything about their former lives?  Some books and films have zombies retaining vestigial memories, or at least atrophied physical skills.  I've chosen to take this approach when hinting that the undead ballerina is still trying to dance.  Indeed, that activity seems to be overwhelming her desire to feed on living flesh, at least for the moment.

So, who will win this duel?  There's not really any doubt in my mind: the zombie doesn't have a chance!  She's too distracted and Ben looks young, fit and prepared to do the deed with a chainsaw.  Let's just hope that he keeps his mouth shut as he carves her up, else he could end up losing by default if he is infected by splattered zombie body parts!

Week 2 is this way -->

28 comments:

  1. Well done sir, and I love the base matching for the duel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not sure that the matching bases will be much use during a game, though :-) .

      Delete
  2. VERY cool! and love how you've painted the denim jeans.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The denim was a very simple technique: block colour with Wedgewood blue and then wash with a much darker blue.

      Delete
  3. Perhaps she's doing the dying swan dance from Swan Lake. Although I don't remember that ending in dismemberment by chainsaw, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I don't remember *that* scene either :-) !

      Delete
    2. you guys must have fallen asleep, it was definitely in the last scene :-)

      Delete
  4. Well, we are never too careful with dancers. Too bad she wasn't the vegetarian kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, dare I ask if you've had personal bad experiences of dancers, then :-) ? Hmm - a vegetarian zombie wouldn't last long, would they?

      Delete
  5. Great job! I like how the bases are tied together. That's a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The bases are perhaps a bit too decorative for a regular game, but I like to add details like that.

      Delete
  6. Well done Hugh! I like the matching bases!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice I hope that chainsaw doesn't cut out at an inopportune moment!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if it did, I think that Ben could defeat this zombie with a simple prod!

      Delete
  8. She's looks wonderful, but I don't fancy her chances against that chainsaw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks cool! It is amazing what stories you can tell just by using 2 miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LS! I heard once that the great author Ernest Hemingway was challenged to write a story in just 6 words. He won...

      Delete
  10. Very nicely done, do love the machting bases...good start :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni. More to come, next week (I hope), though I may have difficulty keeping up to this standard!

      Delete
  11. Great job C6.
    I love the duel concept. Again the dancer conversion is way cool dude!
    The matching bases are a nice touch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. It helps me to have a small back-story for posts like this and who knows - this might even become part of a game scenario some day?

      Delete
  12. Superb and love the way you've matched up the bases too! Superb idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bases are very simple, really - it's just about adding a little paint

      Delete
  13. Very amuzing pairing, but a very unequal fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never suggested that these "duels" would be evenly-matched, did I :-) ?

      Delete