At Golden Hills, the residents had finished clearing up the mess from the first zombie attack (see here). They were gathered in the park to hold a short memorial for Captain Salty, when there was a roar of engines as a convoy of vehicles approached. The survivors watched a couple of soldiers approach them, wondering what would happen next.
The ScenarioThe National Guard have orders to evacuate all civilians and take them to a safe holding camp. Of course, the survivors may decide that they don't want to be evacuated. And there will also be zombies...
- John: REP 6 survivalist, pistol, camera. Followed around by Laddie, REP 2 Shetland collie.
- Bomber: REP 6 survivalist, police-issue shotgun, baseball bat. In charge of Clancy, REP 6 Irish wolfhound.
- Darcy and Lizzie: REP 5 married survivalists, each with a pistol.
- Gertrude and Albert: REP 2 elderly citizens. Gertrude has a chainsaw.
- Abe: REP 3 elderly citizen. He drives a mobility scooter and has a hunting rifle.
- Edna, the crazy cat lady: REP 2 elderly citizen. Always surrounded by cats.
- Lieutenant Costner: REP 5 military, BA pistol.
- Corporal Van Damme: REP 4 military, assault rifle
- Connery: REP 4 military, assault rifle (drives the GPV)
- Dalton: REP 3 military (drives the first truck)
- Eastwood: REP 3 military (drives the second truck)
The area was judged to be suburban and the encounter level was 3. These are both a bit higher/more dangerous than in the previous game over the same terrain ; the zombie plague is definitely spreading. No PEFs will be used for this game (there are enough humans on the board already!)
Meet and Greet"We've come to evacuate you" called Lieutenant Costner to John and the other survivors. "Please make your way to the trucks and we'll take you somewhere safe".
"Um, where is this safe place?" asked John.
"I can't tell you" confessed the officer. "We'll receive instructions when we've loaded everyone up".
"And suppose we don't want to go" asked John, smiling but tense. "What happens then?"
"Ah, err. I... Just give me a moment while I contact my commander" Costner fluffed (Lieutenant Costner lost the meet-and-greet roll badly!). However, he never got a chance to ask for clarification; just at that moment Corporal Van Damme shouted out "STAND TO!" as hordes of zombies approached from all sides.
(A total of 39 zombies were placed initially; I think this must be a record for any of my games! They came from every side of the table.)
Connery manned the M240 MMG on the roof of his patrol vehicle and began gunning down the mob that was approaching from the west. However, it didn't seem to matter how many he destroyed; there just seemed to be more and more of them! (By the end of the game, this player had acquired such a reputation for attracting zombies with his several characters that all the other players demanded I prevent him from shooting!)
Large numbers of zombies were now approaching from the southeast; the survivors barely managed to escape; even this was only possible because Lizzie and Darcy continued to pick off the closest threats.
AftermathAmazingly, nobody died! I ran out of kill markers for the zombies, hence the variety of such tokens in some of the later photos. Even so, there were still plenty of zeds roaming the table at the end of the game.
The party did get well and truly split up. All the soldiers made their escape in the convoy, as did 2 of the pensioners, Darcy, Lizzie, John and his dog. Bomber escaped in the opposite direction, but the remaining 2 pensioners were forgotten and left behind.
Game 7 tells what happened next to Bomber and Clancy.
Game 8 gives the further adventures of John, Darcy, Lizzie and the convoy of guardsmen.