IntroductionIn zombie apocalypse games such as ATZ, we typically need 3 levels of civilian. Firstly, those who are unarmed; they may or may not be aware of the impending doom. Secondly, the citizens who have acquired purpose-built weapons (typically, but not always, guns). Lastly, there is an in-between category: the men and women who have used whatever was to hand to improvise as a weapon. To me, this is a very important group who would be numerous in societies without easy access to firearms. At least, they'd be numerous to start with.
Here are some of the plucky, inventive citizens from my collection who have managed to acquire at least a basic, improvised melee weapon. I've given each of them a "survival" rating, based both on the choice of weapon and the attitude of the wielder.
- Golf club.- the weapon is reasonable, but the owner isn't paying attention and will probably be caught by surprise. Model by Hasslefree.
- Baseball bat (x2).a good thwacking bat and the 2 guys look serious about using them. Models by Foundry
- Rounders bat.- she looks serious, but is really too small to do more than kneecap any enemies. Model by Hasslefree
- Golf club.- the lady seems determined, but would probably find it easier if she ditched the shopping bags. Model by (?) Mega Miniatures/Alpha Forge
- Cricket bat.- our man seems to think that having a pad on one leg will help protect him against zombies. Maybe, maybe not... Model by Offensive Miniatures.
Building and Gardening Tools
- Wrecking bar.- an improvised, 1-handed weapon just isn't going to keep the zombies at bay, though the guy looks hard enough. Miniature by Foundry.
- Scaffolding poles (x2).- a lucky jab might finish off a zombie, but this seems quite unwieldy to me. Models by Offensive Miniatures.
- Chainsaw(x2) - destructive enough, but noisy, difficult to start and prone to stalling. More show than substance. Models by Foundry (Joe the Giant) and Mega Miniatures/Alpha Forge (granny).
- Spade.- easier to wield than some, but not likely to inflict crippling damage to a zombie with the flat of the blade. Model by Mega Miniatures/Alpha Forge.
Whatever's Lying Around
- Chair.- seriously, you think you can stop the walking dead with this? Model by Offensive Miniatures.
- Fire Axe.- if you're lucky enough to grab a 2-handed axe then you might reasonably expect to be able to decapitate your undead attackers! Model from Hasslefree
- Spanner.- a wrench this big has probably got quite a lot of weight behind it, but it doesn't have much reach. Model from Studio Miniatures, converted.
- Chain.- I suppose you might be fortunate enough to entangle the zombie and prevent it from biting your throat out. Model by Offensive Miniatures.
Any Old Rubbish
- Rusty iron bar.- difficult to hold securely, though has enough clout to do some damage. Model by Offensive Miniatures.
- Piece of Lumber.- if you're lucky then you could kill a zombie with it, though you're likely to ruin your hand with splinters and/or rusty nails. Model by Mega Miniatures/Alpha Forge.
- Rock.- unlikely to do more than knock down a walker, if that. Against faster classes of zombie, you're toast! Model by Offensive Miniatures.
Some improvised weapons are just not going to protect you in the event of an apocalypse.
- Toy Gun.- you might be able to rob a convenience store with a toy gun. Maybe. But there's no way it will help you against the zeds. Model by Victory Force.
- Bacon Sandwich and Mug of Tea.- I can't see the zombies slowing down for more than half a second when threatened with this! Model by Black Cat Bases.
- Petrol Bomb/Molotov Cocktail.- burning zombies will still rip you apart. Model by Foundry.
- Crucifix.- you'd better hope that the undead plague has been sent by the forces of darkness, because if it's just a natural phenomenon then a cross won't help you. Model by Artizan Designs