"All My Zombies" - it sounds like the title of a not-so-good sitcom, doesn't it? No, I haven't entered the business of television script writing. Rather, there is a completely different reason for this post.
A few weeks ago, someone asked on TMP (The Miniatures Page) "How many zombie models does anyone have?" Glibly, I answered that I hadn't counted but that my collection must be at least several hundred. Well, I was feeling a bit guilty about this lack of accuracy and so I decided to conduct an inventory to find the correct answer. It turns out that I don't have as many as I thought - but it depends!
What Counts as a Zombie Model?
- For a multi-base, do we count each individual figure or do we just score one for the entire piece?
- What about ambiguous figures which might be zombies - or which might be humans pretending to be zombies? Or indeed zombies pretending to be humans? Do they count as survivors or as zombies?
- Should we count figures which are lying down? They might be truly dead - or they might be zombies lying low and waiting to surprise some unwary survivor.
- OK, if we're talking about my entire collection then what about medieval zombies based for mass battle games such as Hordes of the Things, or for fantasy skirmish games such as Frostgrave?
- Do unpainted models count? [I'd say a firm no to that!]
In this picture, I've arranged all my modern, zombie-apocalypse-style models in groups of ten, with a few "character" zombies and mini-dioramas at the front. Here's how I count it:
- 16 blocks of 10 = 160 zombies
- 5 "left over" zombies (at the back) = 5 zombies
- 6 "character" zombies (near the front. One of these might be a human in disguise and another might be a voodoo spirit, but they'll still count for now) = 6 zombies
- 1 diorama base of 6 dancing zombies (front, centre) = 6 zombies
- 1 diorama base of an "oil drum" zombie = 1 zombie
- 1 diorama base of a pile of corpses = 0 zombies (let's assume they really are dead)
If I've done my sums right, this gives a grand total of 178 zombies. Note that this is not quite "several hundred", as I had initially claimed. If I include my fantasy zombies as well then this must add another 20 or 30 at the very least (there I go again, making assumptions without actually checking!) - still not enough for "several hundred".