Wednesday 28 October 2015

HotT: King of the Tribe

Introduction

Tonight, I was planning to show some miniatures that I'm working on for Frostgrave - but they're not quite ready yet.  Instead, here is my recently-completed Hero General for my slow-burn, 28mm Hordes of the Things Barbarian army.  This force has been gradually accumulating more elements over the years (and I do mean years), but I need to finish a few more yet before the army is large enough to play HotT.

The Boss


There's not really any doubt that this guy is the chieftain of the barbarian tribe.  Not only is he quite a big lad with a huge axe and an imposing head of hair in his own right, but he has a couple of guys to carry him on a shield to make him look even more "regal".  Mind you, I assume that he gets down when the battle starts; I don't imagine he'd be able to fight very effectively from up there.


The model is from Black Tree Design and it is one of my favourite centre pieces for a barbarian army.  The boss and his 2 supporters are all exceptionally-well muscled; I'm still trying to work out where they get all the steroids in Hyboria.  Perhaps there's a natural plant extract that performs the same role?


I like the fact that the lesser of the shield-carriers is using both hands, but the other lad is showing off by holding his side up with just one.  Watch out, now - don't drop the king or you'll be is real trouble!

All 3 of the men are wearing various scraps of chainmail, leather and gold jewelry, in approximately equal proportions.  This fits in very well with the cliched barbarian of fiction: there's a lot of posturing and showing off of bodies, weaponry and wealth.

Right, back to the painting desk - I've got work to do...

12 comments:

  1. C6, I'm loving the mullet on the barba King! Lol
    Great job as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a hair-do, isn't it? Must cost him a fortune in shampoo and combs...

      Delete
  2. Very nice C6! I thought it was common knowledge that Conan was the main steroid dealer. Loving the time travelling haircuts too! Kiss my axe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conan, huh? I would never have suspected him, of all people!

      Delete
  3. A very nice piece. One I have admired before from BTD. But it is a shame I have no use for it. You on the other hand have found a very suitable purpose for it. I am now re-evaluating if I need one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times when you just *have* to have a model of a barbarian king being carried on a shield, aren't there?

      Delete
  4. That looks absolutely brilliant, what a great centre piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. I like that this model doesn't take itself too seriously, but rather plays up the stereotype of a fantasy barbarian.

      Delete
  5. Great looking centrepiece for a barbarian army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. I've not done anything particularly special with this model, but it's a nice piece nevertheless.

      Delete
  6. This is an interesting piece. Now I have images of WWE wrestlers entering the stage/ring. ;P Nice one Colgar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, how about a barbarian in a mask? That would be something different, wouldn't it :-) ?

      Delete