Sunday 26 January 2014

More finished 28mm survivors and zombies

Today's post will be another short one.  It's grey and raining (again!), I have a headache and I'm just not feeling up to much.  So, while I try to regain some energy, here are some more recently-finished figures for ATZ or similar games...

Josephine and Laura
First, here are a couple of variants of the "fat woman" body from Wargames Factory's female apocalypse survivors.  Josephine (left) is made up out-of-the-box, whereas Laura (right) has been converted by using different arms from another kit.  Laura's head is taken from the same sprue as the body, but it isn't one of the "official" head options for the fat body.  Still, it works well enough for me.

Ricky and Kimberly
Next up we have a couple of sporting types.  Ricky is wielding a cricket bat, apparently with a lot of passion.  On the other hand, Kimberly is completely emotionless as she crouches, poised and ready with a tennis racquet.  Both are Wargames Factory figures.

Tiana and Jimmy
An unlikely pair make up my last couple of survivors.  Tiana has been shopping and doesn't seem aware of any kind of danger, whereas Jimmy has found a sub-machine gun from somewhere.  I'm not sure he really knows how to use it, though.  Again, both of these figures are from Wargames Factory, though Tiana's shopping bags come from the female zombie kit rather than the female survivor set.

On to the zombies.  I decided that I wanted to have a few zombies with weapons to keep my players on their toes, so this pair are armed.  She is from Wargames Factory, whereas he is a Studio Miniatures model.  Both have weapon arms taken from one of the Survivors kits.

Finally, here's another Studio Miniatures model, though the bottle is from Black Cat Bases.  Is he a zombie?  Or is he just really hung over?  Would you shoot first or wait and see?
I'm not really happy with this guy's pose: the way the bottle is held looks odd to me.  However I have decided that I couldn't do much to fix it on this model.  Maybe some time I'll try the same concept again with a fresh figure and do it better.

That's all for now, folks!

25 comments:

  1. The mix and match nature of these is great, which has given you some very unique figures. The kid could have had his weapon painted in bright reds and yellows as a toy gun and I'd be very happy with the guy drinking from the carton/bottle too - you're maybe a bit too critical of these from where I sit. - I'll put it down to the weather and your headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of a toy gun! Now I think I'm going to make at least one figure equipped with a super-soaker (kid or zombie, probably).

      Delete
    2. I have seen a figure of a youth with paintball gun somewhere - posssibly Offensive Miniatures ?

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean. I'm sure I've seen someone selling an entire paintball team (and rules as well). There's nothing you can think of that hasn't been done already :-) !

      Delete
  2. These are excellent figures. Great paint jobs on all of them! The impressive range of survivor types in 28mm almost stopped me from using 15mm for my zombie project, but the thought of painting all those 28mm zombies sends a shiver down my spine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. 15mm is cheaper and easier to store - just keep remembering that!

      Delete
  3. I like every one of the figures you've shown here, Hugh. I know we are often our own worst critics but I see nothing wrong with any of these. Your conversions are top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bryan - your words are very much appreciated :-) . I'm still not happy with "bottle zombie", though :-) .

      Delete
  4. Those are some great figures. Very characterful and fun. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing wrong with the drunk. Perhaps when you try again the bottle could be lower with the arm more extended, or the opposite drinking from the neck of the bottle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that the bottle is too high to be just dangling by his side and too low to be drunk from. A bit odd...

      Delete
  6. I love Laura and Josephine the best. The ATZ feasting rules should apply to them twice the normal time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends if the zombies are only interested in brains, though? I doubt that either of these larger ladies has twice the average brain size. In any case, I don't think that either of them will just lie down and be eaten without quite a fight!

      Delete
  7. Vampifan is right about us being our own worst critics. I also can't see anything wrong with them. I do like the woman with the shopping best though. She is just scavenging vital survival supplies and using some easily acquired and disposable baggage solutions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there was me thinking that Tiana had nothing but designer clothing &c in her bags. You're right; it could just as easily be tinned food and spare bullets!

      Delete
    2. It could be that she thinks cosmetics and clothing are part of her survival strategy..... maybe she thinks she can't live without lipstick. After all I don't think there will be anyone making more lipstick in the near future following a zombie apocalypse. But you are right it probably is new shoes!.

      Delete
  8. Great work mate! I really like them all. Especially the shopper girl. When I saw those arms I had no idea those are supposed to be different shopping bags! I just assumed it's a posh bag :P.

    Armed zombies came out great as well and that drunk...ah, classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mathyoo. I should have done a side shot as well, so that you could see the logos on her shopping bags (expensive paper bags always seem to have branding on them)!

      If the guy with the bottle came stumbling towards you in the zombie apocalypse, mumbling incoherently, would you shoot him? I'm still not sure if he's a zombie or a drunk...

      Delete
  9. Some more wonderful additions to the hoard and survivors, I really need to get a box of those female survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. The plastic box sets are all wonderful individually, but the variety you can make is multiplied hugely if you mix-n-match with other boxes as well.

      Delete
  10. Those top two are fearsome. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they're scary women! At least you should be able to out-run them :-) .

      Delete
  11. I wonder why Ricky wasn't out in Oz defending the ashes. He seems to have the sort of spirited approach they team needed. Anybody would think England had send an XI of walking dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if anyone would spot the connection between the name and the cricket bat :-) . Well done, sir!

      Delete