IntroductionAnyone who has followed my work for some time will know that I like to do a little bit of converting on some of my models. This is especially so for plastic models such as Wargames Factory's Zombie Vixens, where the kit comes with 3 identical sprues. To some extent, the 3 copies of each body can be made unique by using different heads and arms on each, but even with this some of the poses are more "recognisable" than others.
Last year, I used the "lifeguard" body from my first sprue of Vixens to make - well, a lifeguard. This was all done some time ago (see here) and I've been pondering what to do with the other copies of this model ever since. Then it struck me...
It occurred to me that it wouldn't take much effort to turn this model into a zombie ballerina, doing a pirouette. Why would I want to do that, I can hear you asking? Well, because I can? As a test of my model-making skills? Because my zombie collection is an equal opportunity horde which represents many different facets of society? I did it for all of the above reasons, and probably more.
So, how did I go about making this conversion. Firstly, I decided that the bent leg would need some repositioning. I cut it at the hip, knee and ankle joints, though only the hip was cut all the way through. The other joints only needed a little repositioning.
The leg was then glued back in the new location and the cuts were filled with Milliput. That was the biggest part of the conversion and although I spent quite a lot of effort on filling and smoothing off the joints, I could have done a lot less. After all, the skirt will hide much of the hip and knee anyway.
I found a zombie head with a ponytail, though that wasn't quite the look I wanted. Instead, I cut off the ponytail and made a bun from a small blob of green stuff instead. I suppose that I could have left the ponytail on the model; as long as the hair is pulled back then it's good either way (ballerinas tend to have their hair well under control, I believe).
Once arms and head were fitted, I based the model. Note that I added a short length of wire to help strengthen the joint between figure and base; it seemed like an obvious weak point to me.
I've added a skirt made from tissue paper. This was cut into a circle about the size of a 1 pence coin (OK, 20mm for those of you outside the UK), with a 5mm circular hole in the middle. The skirt was slit, coated in tacky glue and then wrapped around the ballerina's waist. It does have about 4 thin layers, though I'm not sure how much of this will be visible when the model is completed.
So far, so good. If you're interested enough to see how she is painted then you'll need to wait for my next post. That's because I haven't actually painted this model yet! Still, it's Zomtober again and she will appear in my first week's offerings on Sunday next!
See here for the finished model -->
See here for the finished model -->
You are kidding me! That's brilliant, Degas would be proud!ReplyDelete
Hah, there is a certain resemblance to a dancer from a Degas painting, isn't there?Delete
Beautifully constructed conversion. I'm looking forward to seeing it painted.ReplyDelete
I plan on completing the model in time for my Sunday Zomtober post. Stay tuned...Delete
I love the eccentricity of this idea, if nothing else it's a good exercise in sculpting.ReplyDelete
Thanks, Joe. I think that's probably the fist time that anyone has ever implied that I am eccentric, even if somewhat indirectly :-) !Delete
Just when I think I have seen every conceivable type of zombie, someone comes along and proves me wrong. This is so original and such a great idea. I can't wait to see her painted.ReplyDelete
I'm sure there are more types of zombie out there just waiting to be discovered :-) . As for the painted version - wait until Sunday!Delete
Lovely conversion and looking forward to seeing the paint job!ReplyDelete
Thanks, SoH. Again, I'm hoping to have finished painting the model in time for Sunday's post.Delete
Zombie Ballerinas is just as scary as zombie clowns. One can only imagine her in rehearsals or running a dance school for kiddies when she took the bite. Now that's a very characterful idea. As everyone else is looking forward to the paint.ReplyDelete
Nah, clowns is worse. Much worse!Delete
I agree that a crowded theatre or (horror!) a children's dance school would both be bad places for a zombie outbreak.
DegaZZZZZZZ! Epic conversion, well done!ReplyDelete
Thanks, ZA. Strangely, I wasn't thinking of Degas consciously when I conceived this conversion. However I must have been influenced subliminally - the style is just too close for it to be a coincidence!Delete
WOW! That is amazing dude! Top job C6.ReplyDelete
Thanks, Bob. I don't think she's really *that* good myself, but I'm flattered by your enthusiasm :-) .Delete
Top conversion Hugh. Looks really good. Can't wait to see her painted :)ReplyDelete
It's quite a simple conversion, really - and you'll have to wait until Sunday for the painted version!Delete
Great job, well done!ReplyDelete