Sunday 25 October 2020

Zomtober 2020, Week 4

<==  Missed week 3?  This way

Introduction

Well, I've managed to survive Zomtober for another year.  This is the last Sunday of the month, so with this post I have completed the challenge for 2020.  Doesn't it feel good 😁!

So, without further ado, here's another zombie/survivor duel.

Ritchie vs Dapper Old Zombie (DOZ)


This "duel" is between "Ritchie" - a survivor and "dapper old zombie" ("DOZ").  Now, I try not to judge, but I don't think that Ritchie is the sharpest tool in the toolbox.  For starters, he cannot spell his name correctly (or at least, using the more common form: "Richie").



For the first time ever in a Zomtober pairing, I realised that I mounted both of these figures on identical bases.  Too bad - when I noticed the duplication it was much too late in the month to produce another, different model for either or both participants.

Ritchie is one of Offensive Miniatures "Street Kids", whilst DOZ is from Studio Miniatures.  I think the latter may be from a pack of "celebrity" zombies rather than rank-and-file, but if so then I don't recognise the reference.



Ritchie is armed with a petrol bomb, which has been universally ridiculed by "experts" as a terrible anti-zombie weapon.  It's hard to light and throw accurately - and even if you succeed in this then flames won't necessarily incapacitate a charging foe.  Instead, you'll simply be mauled to death by a burning zombie.



I believe that Ritchie has added yet another level of incompetence to the mix.  It looks to me as if he's using a champagne bottle for his Molotov cocktail.  Such bottles are very thick-walled and strong (so they don't blow apart when full of "bubbly").  I wonder if it would shatter and ignite the petrol when it hit the target, or merely bounce off and lie smoking in the gutter?

This survivor does get credit for heavy clothing and a face mask, though.  These may slow down or impede zombie bites and protect somewhat against splashes of infected blood.

Conclusion

The question, as always, is this: what happens next?  DOZ seems quite fit and active (for a zombie) and appears to have the edge in awareness as well.  I suspect that Ritchie's only chance is to weather the initial onslaught, break free (possibly discarding his anorak to the clutches of the zombie) and flee...


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Not maybe the most interesting pair ever, but not too bad...

      Delete
  2. Richie with a t, is dead meat in my opinion, he's a kid with an almost useless weapon whilst the zed looks fresh and able.
    Good way to finish off the challnge and I think the the zed could easily pass dor a survivour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree with you! Also, other than coming from a "zombie" packet, there's no reason why DOZ couldn't be used as a survivor. From memory, the model has a tiny tear in the back of the jacket, but no other signs of trauma.

      Delete
  3. I think Ritchie is doomed. Although wise in the sense of heavy clothing to prevent a bite, its also likely highly flammable & then when he flubs the throw the the cocktail & it lands at his feet, he may become the torch to draw other zombies to the pyre! Great finish to Zomtober Colgar, will look forward to next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting notion - perhaps this fumbler has also spilled petrol over his clothing. That would assist his clothes to catch light! Poor Ritchie...

      Delete
  4. Ritchie is trying to appeal to the basic instinct of the old zombie. This old zombie is used to silverware and champagne. If Ritchie throw the champagne, there is a chance the zombie try to drink the bottle and leave Ritchie alone.
    Or he is Ritchie Rich, trying to survive in a world without butler and tea lady? In that case, he is doomed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so you think that DOZ is a "champagne Charlie"? Could be - I've said before that I think recently-made zombies might retain some vestiges of their strongest memories/driving forces.

      I think you are hedging your bets with that second paragraph, though. You can't have it both ways :-) ...

      Delete
    2. I am team Ritchie - He'll win over

      Delete
  5. I reckon this bottle would be more useful (and less dangerous to its wielder) being used as a mace than as a makeshift bomb. I wouldn't put my money on Ritchie surviving this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, if Ritchie can keep a good grip on the champagne bottle (bearing in mind that they're not ideally-shaped for wielding) then it should certainly have enough weight to do some damage when used as a club. I agree that it's his best chance, though I don't think the lad realises this. He's doomed...

      Delete
  6. Any gentlemen with a champeignoise ought to have a sabre about his person.
    It's the ideal uncorking tool.
    Also handy for decapping any nearby zombies.

    Ritchie appears to have committed the schoolboy error of leaving his sabre back at the barracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that Ritchie is the type of young man to be accepted into the Hussars. Or even the Dragoons - so no sabre.

      Hmm, can a sabre also be used to remove stones from horses' hooves? Is it the original multi-purpose tool - a sort of early Swiss Army knife? Unsettling thought...

      Delete